Published: Thursday 12 April, 2018

No Filipinos Hurt in Saudi Arabia Missile Attack, OFWs Told to be Calm

There were no casualties in the missile attack in Saudi Arabia. The Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) said Filipinos in Riyadh, the target of the missile attack, remain safe. DFA secretary Alan Peter Cayetano advised Pinoys in Saudi to be calm but stay alert.

Saudi Arabia missiles

Saudi Arabia intercepted several missiles and armed drones from Houthi militants. (Reuters photo via Al Jazeera)

On Wednesday (Thursday in Manila), Saudi Arabia announced that its air defense forces intercepted a Houthi militant missile attack on Riyadh, the cities of Jazan and Najran, and Abha airport using missiles and drones, according to Arab News. The missiles were aimed at Riyadh, Jazan and Najran while armed drones were detected headed for Abha airport and a civilian neighborhood in Jazan.

The announcement came after several witnesses saw and heard loud explosions over Riyadh. Some even posted videos of the incident on social media.

“An Iranian ballistic missile launched from Sadaa towards Riyadh was successfully intercepted by Saudi Air Defence earlier today,” said Colonel Turki al-Malki.

The attack was claimed by Al Masirah, a TV network run by the Houthis. Al Masirah also reported the Houthis fired missiles at oil storage facilities belonging to Saudi oil giant Aramco in the provinces of Najran and Jizan.

The missile attacks were claimed by Iran-backed Houthi rebels, who have launched dozens of missile attacks the past year. All have been successfully intercepted. However, earlier this year, an Egyptian was killed by fragments of one missile in Riyadh. He is the only casualty so far from such attacks.

Saudi Arabia is being targeted by Houthi militants for its role in leading the coalition forces in fighting to restore the legitimate government of President Abed Rabbo Mansour Hadi in Yemen.

Meanwhile, DFA’s Cayetano said the latest missile attacks in Saudi “a clear violation of international law” & it exposes Saudi civilians & “tens of thousands of Filipino and other foreign workers to serious danger.”