Published: Thursday 03 May, 2018

Filipino Diplomats Who Rescued OFWs Charged with Kidnapping by Kuwait

Three Filipino diplomats have been charged with kidnapping in Kuwait. The kidnapping charges stemmed from the diplomats’ rescues of ‘distressed’ overseas Filipino workers (OFW) earlier this month as caught on a viral video.

Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) secretary Alan Peter Cayetano confirmed the kidnapping charges against the three diplomats Wednesday night during the arrival of expelled Philippine ambassador Renato Villa. the Philippine ambassador was declared persona non grata by Kuwait due to “undiplomatic acts by Philippine embassy staff.”

Cayetano said Kuwait accused the diplomats of taking the OFWs from their employers homes.

  WATCH Lady Prosecutor & Husband Make Public Apology to MMDA But Charges Stay

“Kinasuhan sila ng kidnapping,” Cayetano told reporters at NAIA. The secretary also confirmed that four other Philippine embassy officials remained in custody in Kuwait for the same reason – the rescue of distressed OFWs which Kuwait said violated its sovereignty.

As the diplomatic row between the Philippines and Kuwait continues, many now say the situation wouldn’t have led to this had the video not been made public. It was the DFA which released the controversial video online after which it immediately went viral in blogs, Filipino websites and social media platforms.

But Cayetano said the Philippines believes there was no crime committed. 

  Official List: 2019 Philippine Holidays with TWO Special Non-Working Days Added!

“It has been our argument from the start that there is no violation of any conventions, there was no crime, etc.” said the DFA chief during an interview aired on Wednesday night TV news. “That’s being sorted out now and we’re quite confident the two foriegn ministries will agree.”



Inline
Inline